IOW Caravan Owner's £1.6M Loss

IOW Holiday Park Members in Trouble
IOW Holiday Park Members in Trouble

Friday, 03, Nov 2017 10:42

By William Coleman

Members of the Rookley Country Park on the Isle of Wight are heading toward some hard times. They face the prospect of potentially losing their holiday homes following a park takeover.

As you can all imagine the loss of your holiday home and or its location is a very big blow. The residents are plot owners of Rookley Country Park could have a joint loss of an estimated £1.57 million. This was reported last month and will affect around 70 distraught residents who were mortified to discover that they are being forced to leave to park and make way for the total rejuvenation of the site. Although it is good that site has been bought and will be invested in it still leaves a lot of current members in a very bad spot.

The new development of the site will see a lot of new additions brought in. There will be new lodges positioned around the lake, upgraded entertainment and the pool area will be getting an upgrade too. On Top of that there should be new caravan hires made available. All of this will be brought in at the cost of the current caravan owners using the park, they have to move to make the land free for development.

The main fear is that the current owners will not find another suitable place to store homes now they are having to leave Rookley Country Park. Rookley Country Park did issue a sincere apology regarding the matter.

Following the news around 30 owners met the Chequers pub to speak with the campaigner and caravan owner, Paul St John Martin, regarding the move and how it could financially impact those being forced to move from the site.

Mr. St John Martin revealed that the combined cost that the owners will be out of pocket would be around the £1.5m when they lose the vans.

The Island MP Bob Seeley has vowed to help in this situation to protect the rights of the current caravan owners. Mr Seely has expressed great sympathy for the nightmare that the residents find themselves in.

He has said that he will be writing to the new owners company, a company based in the USA, as well as the the Citizens' Advice in regards to some form of compensation due to the losses the residents could suffer.

Mr Seely added he would also be looking into lobbying Parliament about the issues raised.

Rookley Park said: "Unfortunately, the extent of the work required is such some owners will have to move their holiday homes elsewhere.".

I am all for developing new parks and sites around the UK but this seems like a lot of people's lives are having to change, not for the better, to make way for these upgrades.

Comments - What do you think?
Related stories
For Sale

Burstner Nexxo t720 - 2012 - £44995

Burnster Nexxo t720

Low Low profile chasis motorhome

Rapido A-Class 999M - 2009 - £54995

Rapido A class 999M

This flagship Rapido model is based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis (very rare) with the fantastic Mercedes 3.

Monaco Knight 38 PDQ - 2006 - £79995

x

THE most practical RV layout ever on the market with four slide out rooms, full cream leather interior and light oak cabinetry creates even greater feeling of space.

Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69 PL (auto) - 2011 - £61995

Niesmann + Bischoff Arto 69 PL

One of the best build qualities in the industry including aluminium sandwich construction, deep double floor and front electric thermo windscreen blind make this motorhome fully winterised.

Benimar Tessoro Part 1: The 483 Full Test

The Tessoro 483 is built on a 170BHP Ford

At CaravanTimes we recently had a Benimar Tessoro 483 on test for a couple of weeks. We have done just over 2000 miles in the Tessoro and tested in various ways - as you will find out in our inspiration features coming up. But before we give you some ideas of where and why you should use a motorhome like the Tessoro we wanted to bring some information on the Tessoro range and the very interesting 483.

Bristanbul Video Documentary Part 1

Part one of the documentary is here

So as most of our readers will know, the CaravanTimes team were lucky enough to be part of Bailey of Bristols, Bristol to the Bosphoros trip. Travelling 21 countries in 21 days the team did a fantastic job to take the 2 caravans and motorhome cross-continental.

In pictures: testing the new Auto-Trail V-Line Sport 635 to the extreme

Caravan Times' Favourite Adventure Couple, Simon & Faye, CHeck out the new Autotrail V-line

This weekend however, we decided to test out how sporty the Auto-Trail V-Line Sport 635 really is.

PLANS VETOED: Essex caravan park plans vetoed again

Possible site location at Port Flair

Plans for a 70 pitch caravan park in Essex have been rejected by the local council for a second time.